Metabolic syndrome is a group of factors that could indicate a need to make changes and take steps for sustained health in the future. You may develop these symptoms by eating a diet high in calories and saturated fat and getting little or no physical exercise. You should consider supporting various aspects of your health if at least three of the following are true:
- You are overweight and carry the weight around your waistline
- You have blood pressure concerns
- You have an inefficient blood sugar metabolism
- You have unbalanced fat in your blood
- You have low high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (not enough of the good cholesterol)
The more of these factors you can check off the more you need to take steps to promote your health. Even if your cholesterol levels are normal, you still may be at risk for other concerns. To enhance your cardiovascular well-being, you should exercise regularly and include plenty of fruits, vegetables and fiber in your diet.