The Health Dangers Of Calcium Deficiency

Calcium is one of the most important minerals for your body and bones. This essential strength-building nutrient helps your muscles contract… maintain proper blood vessel function… secrete hormones and enzymes… and send messages through your central nervous system.

But that’s not all that calcium can provide for your continued health. Various medical journals and studies indicate this mineral can help:

  • Relieve acid reflux and indigestion
  • Aid in lowering blood pressure levels
  • Relieve premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms
  • Reduce abnormal prostate cell growth
  • Alleviate symptoms associated with lead toxicity
  • Aid in weight loss

About 99 percent of your body’s calcium is stored in your teeth, with the remaining 1 percent found in your body in the bones, blood and tissues throughout your body. So when a calcium deficiency is detected by your body, it begins to steal the mineral from your bones in order to process other needed functions. In severe cases, this deficiency can result in numbness and muscle spasms.

To help increase your bone mass and prevent the breakdown of bone tissue as you age, be sure to get ample amounts of calcium and vitamin D from a nutritious diet or quality supplements. These two vital nutrients are essential for a long and strong healthy life.